Skip to main content

Table 1 Comparison between study schools and national data

From: Self-harm in young adolescents (12–16 years): onset and short-term continuation in a community sample

School Pupils in trial % White1 % Special needs without statements1 Overall absence2 Persistent absence2 % achieving 5 A*-C passes including level 2 English and Math’s3 % Eligible for free school meals1
1 710 63.8% 20.2% 5.4% 2.7% 69% 11.9%
2 623 89.7% 8.1% 8.3% 7.7% 61% 7.0%
3 835 93.2% 17.9% 6,5% 5.1% 55% 9.5%
4 783 95.3% 6.9% 6.1% 2.8% 75% 2.5%
5 848 77.6% 36.0% 11.1% 13.8% 36% 31.2%
6 530 83.5% 10.5% 4.7% 1.7% No year 11 3.3%
7 534 92.8% 10.1% 7.7% 6.2% 47% 7.6%
8 167 98.7% 19.7% 7.9% 7.4% 48% 9.2%
Total trial 5030 85,5% 16.8% 7.3% 6.0% 56.7% 11.2%
National average   81.2% 19.7% 6.s9% 4.4% 50% 15.4%
  1. 1National Stats: Statistical first release: Schools. Pupils and their characteristics: January 2010: Department for Education, 13/05/2010.
  2. 2National Stats: Statistical first release: Pupil absence in schools in England including pupil characteristics: 2009/10. Department for Education, 29/03/11.
  3. 3Achievement and attainment tables 2009; Department for Education.